Wednesday, July 2, 2014

The straw that breaks the camel's back...

So if you have been following along over the past couple weeks, you've met the brave ladies who live with Elijah, Judah and I as we propel ourselves ever deeper into maudlin mayhem.  I'm pretty sure that you knew how tough they were beforehand, but if you didn't... there you go.  I'm married to someone that could live in Antarctica for months without a fur coat, and Jael's perpetual joy amidst overwhelming circumstances give me a perspective that goes beyond mere physical toughness.

           Having said all that... our family had a MASSIVE freak-out today.  Why??  you ask. What might make a family that has survived-- and even thrived -- through some of the stuff aforementioned in these virtual pages cower and whimper?  I'll tell you.  We knights might be training to be tough, but when our fridge dies, we snivel like simpering canines.

          I  have passed my licensing exam and been in actual hands-on training at my new job (Rachel: Did he mention he was unemployed for a couple months this winter? We are REALLY thankful for this new job, even with the two weeks of constant studying at home at night it brought with it), of which the early majority of what I will be doing involves processing insurance claims about delivery people and the destruction that they create when they drag huge stoves, fridges and the like through the homes of unsuspecting people like you or I.  Amidst this background, I received a text about 2:00pm saying "I think our fridge died-- arrgh!"  Two things went through my head, both equally dumb.  The first : "who makes pirate jokes in the afternoon?"  The second: "It's really cute that on my first day of systems training she's trying to make me laugh!"  It actually brought a brief smile to my face until the only worthwhile thought (we'll call it number three) ran through, shouting something like: "She has no idea what they're training you to do!  Your fridge is really broken!"  And so it was.

  It's such a little thing in the big picture, but a night-ruiner for sure.  The only upside I can think of -- I'll probably lose weight this week.  It's a little bit of a downer for this knight's appetite when the midnight snack you sneak is badly curdled yogurt!

       Tomorrow, what happens when I read Elijah and Judah classic literature and why I might be banned from reading them anything pre-WWII ... tune in then, same time, same place!

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, right when you were dealing with fridge issues we were dealing with fridge issues n FL!

    ReplyDelete