Monday, March 19, 2012

Crouching tiger, hidden Judah ...






Every once in awhile, I think I get embroiled in the *muck* of life that I am tired and weary of all that seems raining down. Last week was a bit like that -- a two-day project that has turned into seven days and counting, getting busted by the building inspector on said project when I thought I didn't need permission (and neatly dodging the $1000 fine that he threatened me with), drama with neighboring landlords where my tenants are being accused of drunk and disorderly conduct that they didn't have anything to do with because no one bothered to check the facts (anyone heard of slander?), and general exhaustion on the home front as Daylight Savings kicked our butt and took some names. Yup-- that kind of week. No one died, but outside of real tragedy about the most blah week I could imagine.

Amidst all that, I almost made a big mistake. I almost cancelled our weekend plans to go visit my grandparents in Maine just to keep working on these decks that are consuming my life. I'm so glad I didn't. The life lesson that is being ground in this month is that work (as much as I normally love it) gets to stay at work, and home gets to stay sacred time. The two days that we took off and headed up to Maine turned out to be two of the most refreshing days we've had in what seemed like years. Rachel didn't have to cook, I didn't have to do anything but play golf at Hickam's Backyard Half Dozen -- I kid you not, my grandfather (who thinks big... all the time) made a six-hole golf course in his backyard-- and chase around two small boys.

(And apparently eat.... not that I could ever keep up with Judah, who started eating right about 12 months old-- in what we thought was a growth spurt-- and hasn't stopped eating since.)


Perhaps my favorite time of the entire weekend was Friday night, just before the twenty-somethings arrived, when Elijah had my Gram and Gramp (who he calls GreatGram and GreatGramp... no pauses in those words at all) all to himself reading a story. He knew the story by heart, which shocked my Gramp and delighted Elijah. Each time my Gramp would ask him what the next line was, he would giggle before he "read" it, just in ecstasy at the attention and delight he was receiving.




It was an amazingly good time. In times like this, I am so thankful for the "eyes of the storm," the sanctuary that we can find under God's wing amidst the struggles that plague us.

The best part was-- we got an invitation back!! We can't wait to find a time to go see them again. ( Judah thinks so too !! )


1 comment:

  1. Sheesh! I hear ya, this week has kicked my butt as well. Hang in there :)

    ReplyDelete