Wednesday, December 14, 2011

life-changing words


I've decided that the thing about big U-turns in your life is that they're unmarked. Unlike the highway (now I've got Tom Cochrane's "Life is A Highway" blaring in my head) there aren't any signs saying, "I-90-- two miles" to let you know that in fact, a big change is coming up. And so it was that I almost missed one of the biggest changes in my life this past year amidst the rest of a regular Sunday.

It was actually right in the middle of the Sunday mayhem that I wrote about last post (http://lifeonkingarthurscourt.blogspot.com/2011/12/craziness-at-church.html) when I was listening to the priest's sermon (and I use the word listen somewhat loosely-- I have an attention span of slightly longer than -- what's that? -- oh, squirrel!! -- two seconds. He was talking about his recent trip to the Holy Land and Palestinian culture. It was an offhand remark for him, but a bomb of a dawning idea in my head. "One of the most important things a father can do is their culture," he said, "is to bless their children. It is one of the most critical roles that a man can have." Just like that. Fifteen seconds that I almost let waltz right by me untouched.

But what an idea! I think in all fairness it should have occurred to me sooner, or that I should have already known this. But-- one of my biggest roles as a human-- as a parent-- is to bless my children. And so I started three days ago, in fact. Every night, as part of their bedtime routine, I bless them. I tell them things that I hope for them and look for things to complement them on. I ask God to speak His own blessing into their life. I'll let you know how it turns out in the long run, but I'm excited. It's a pretty awesome task!




The Lord bless you and keep you;
The Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you;
The Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.

--Numbers 6:24-26

1 comment:

  1. Love this, Micah! Good reminder and so powerful! Merry Christmas, Nimons! See you in 2012!

    ReplyDelete