Sunday, December 18, 2011

The 'polite switch'


polite switch, n. 


      an unknown nerve ending, often hidden under layers of boorish behavior, that when triggered turns even the surliest children into offspring from the Leave It to Beaver era.


                     Wherever this magical switch was on Elijah, someone accidentally pressed it yesterday... and we are all quite happy about it!




       Gone (temporarily, I'm sure) are the crazy tantrums and random acts of naughtiness... replaced by such things like this morning:

       [Elijah walks downstairs and gets up on his chair]

       Elijah: I really like you, Mama.

       Rachel [shocked]:  Why, thank you, Elijah.  I really like you too.

       Elijah:  You're welcome.

       Me:  Elijah, I'm proud of you.  That was so sweet.

       Elijah:  You're welcome, Dad.


I didn't want to push it, so I stopped there.


        Or this morning again when Rachel and I were being cranky with each other (which was my fault, by the way, because I have no short-term memory... it is, however, the first time I've been wrong this month, so I thought it worth noting ;)

       Elijah [interrupting said argument]:   Too loud back here.  Quiet, please.

       Me:  Oh, ok.  Sorry.

    Seriously, I felt like I was at a tennis match.




 It even happened last night, when he played independently for an hour with Mama Giraffe and Baby Panda.  Rachel and I actually let him stay up half an hour past his bedtime because he was being so good, we didn't want to mess with it.  Two things that interested me about his playtime:  One, it's the first time that I can remember that it's been a mama and baby-- normally, it's a daddy and baby.  Apparently, at almost three years in, he has finally decided his mama loves him... it took long enough.  Second, what exactly would the father be if the mother is a giraffe and the offspring is a panda??


       Seriously, the things that you have the time to ponder when you're not running after your kids all day every day!!  The 'polite switch' might be temporary, but we're going to love every minute of our little knight's behavior until it reverts!!






3 comments:

  1. Haha what a cute post! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. as a postscript to this, we went to an amazing Lessons and Carols festival at our church tonight -- and he then had one of his BIGGEST meltdowns of the year... but he was once again polite afterwards. We'll see if it's a sustainable stretch.

    ReplyDelete