Friday, January 13, 2012

12 Days of Christmas Day 11: A Conundrum

One of the things that I got this Christmas (this is Micah speaking again,with many
thanks to Rachel on her fabulous guest post yesterday) was the opportunity to think about
the future. To use a terrible job interview question, where do I see myself in ten years??

Is it really doing this??

(And I don't mean sitting around looking useless sipping Coke like it's a fine wine. I mean writing-- that's just the closest thing to a Hemingway shot I've got kicking around.)



Or possibly could I be doing this??


ALLEGRA BOVERMAN/Staff photo. Gloucester Daily Times. Gloucester: Micah Nimon of Beverly and of of Nimon Construction of Gloucester has been working with his father Mike Nimon at Gloucester Assembly of God building on Washington Street. They are renovating the whole exterior that isn't masonry or brick. He said it's been fun working there because he grew up attending the church and the neighbors have been complimenting them on their work and glad that the church will no longer be bright red, as it had been for many years.

(This, by the way, is shameless self-promotion: For the second or third time in five years the local paper took my picture while I was working. It was slightly after the 12 days of Christmas ended here, but I just wanted to brag a little bit... the actual link to see it in context is here--http://gtsnaps.smugmug.com/Gloucester-Daily-Times/January-2012/20888528_V3Xjq6#!i=1669576644&k=NTCZJwk )





Could I be doing this below in five years?? (Answer: I hope not. Being the face of a four-armed man, even if the other person is your best friend, is no way to spend your thirties.)



















It's a tricky conundrum. I love my current job, which is mostly craftsman-type carpentry and house creations, but I don't think that: a) I want to beat myself up physically like I currently do day in and day out, aa) I don't really particularly want my own company, because sales is less my thing, and b) I really love to write. It's just that whenever I try and lock myself in the basement here and churn out some pages on my novels, well... c) the fact that I have two boys and a wife who don't really let me sit unattended for any length of time at all kicks in. That and d) I can never stay writing on one novel for more than a week-- I blame the ADD that runs around my head. Also, e) writing doesn't necessarily pay up front -- if ever :) So I don't know exactly where it's all headed-- I just had too much time to think about it this past week or two.

I do know one thing, though. No matter what I do, I will be doing it with this lovely lady --



Any thoughts??

No comments:

Post a Comment