Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Micah's Bloody Nose


Guest post! (from Queen)

*Warning: this is not for the week of stomach*

Sorry for the long absence! Micah's been battling a killer virus, so between working, taking care of the boys, helping around the house, and trying to carve out extra sleep, needless to say he's been missing from the blog! But don't worry 'things' have still been happening! And because I am awesome ;) I thought I'd pitch in and share just one of the many fun things that you have been missing out on knowing since Micah has not been blogging.

Micah's nose is incredible. Really all the 'boy' noses in this house are fantastic. Our littlest knight-in-training's nose just runs and runs and he'll sit and suck his paccie (which means I know some of that gross stuff is getting in his mouth) until I find him and wipe it. In fact just this morning in the car Elijah asked "What's coming from Judah's nose?" To which I replied "Is it snot?" "Oh no mama. It's boogies!" Why thank you Elijah.

Then there is our little blond knight-in-training who has reached the age in which he'll 'do it himself', really meaning he'll spend ten minutes with his finger up his nose 'getting' his boogie only to then, once successful, wipe it on the closest thing to him (i.e. his shirt, the couch, mommy's pants). Yikes. I don't want to even think about where he's put them that I haven't caught.

But Micah's nose is the coolest. It doesn't just 'boogie'- it bleeds, sometimes even on command (ask Micah to tell you about his wrestling days). Micah's nose has bled fairly routinely ever since I've known him, just occasionally but enough that we don't worry about it and they are very small bleeds. I'm sure he could have some nose vein closed off if he wanted to but he's never cared to so I don't really care myself. The nose bleeds usually get worse in winter (dry air of course) but currently with his symptoms he's been getting more of them.

Last week Micah and I woke up (the littlest knight yelling 'DADADADA' at 5:30 making sure not to let us down as our alarm clock) and it looked like someone had been KILLED IN OUR BED! Seriously- there was blood EVERYWHERE! Micah's pillow was soaked and the sheets looked like a butcher shop. Yikes. Apparently he'd slept through a nose bleed. I cleaned the sheets (still haven't figured out what to do with the pillow but fortunately we have some backups) and we kind of laughed about how gross it was. Then a couple nights later it happened again but to a much lesser degree since Micah woke up and was able to stop it and this has continued for about a week.

So when our neighbor suggested we put the humidifier out last night to help his nose I was all for it. Micah didn't really care though and since we were both tired and it meant extra work as we were getting in bed, I didn't get it. WRONG choice. This morning I woke up (the boys had been up for about an hour already) and went to Judah's room to pick out his clothes for the day. Imagine my surprise when I saw blood spots on his floor! EW! I called to Micah who came up and we kind of laughed about it as I cleaned it up. Then as I was dressing the littlest knight-in-training, I spotted the wall which was covered in blood spatter! Not really laughing this time, I had Micah clean it up-- and all day I've been finding little blood drops on our top floor and cleaning them up.

All this has brought me to two conclusions. The first is that we will be getting the humidifier out tonight. The second is that if Micah ever goes missing I'm in trouble cause the police are going to wonder about ALL the BLOOD ALL over our HOUSE!

Have a wonderful night!

3 comments:

  1. I can definitely empathize with the snot. Sydney is infamous for wiping it on her sleeve. It's gotten to the point where she'll purposely look at me, smirk, and then wipe her nose across her entire sleeve. Gotta love it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the wrestling matches well. It got to the point where I'd warn the referee before the match what the probability was (like 100% unless the match lasted less than a minute). Funny thing but Andrew was the same way- family genes! But to Andrews credit, many of his matches did not last the 1 minute because he was great at takedowns! The humidifier will help for sure but there is no shame in getting a vein catheterized for long term prevention.

    Coach

    ReplyDelete
  3. as the 'bleeder' in this family, I just want to say that I am asleep when I spray the beautiful red paint everywhere and thus have a legal defense at least ... :)

    ReplyDelete