Wednesday, October 19, 2011

God's mirror










My own kids terrify me more than almost anything I can think of, and one of the biggest reasons is just how clearly they allow you to peer into your own soul. Everyone says that your eyes are the windows into the murky depths of your character (well, mine's murky-- I won't speak for you), but I think you see a lot in the expressions of your offspring:

For example, this would be Judah at three months old-- but in our example, it's really a very good look into the beautiful character of my lovely wife. This is what Rachel looks like when she wakes up in the morning: slightly dazed, with the hint of a smile behind dewy eyes, curly hair, and an innocence that still takes me wonderfully by surprise at times. I love the both of them for it. (In a small sidebar, we have actually put the Pack 'n' Play away completely, as Judah will no longer sleep or play in it; instead, he baas piteously like a sheep until you release him) On a slightly different plane, this is what Elijah and I look like in the morning:


I'm just kidding!

In a (slightly) more serious vein, I have realized that almost everything that I get frustrated with Elijah for doing is actually a shortcoming of my own... it's weird just how close it slices to home. The other day I was trying to defuse him before he swatted his little toy kitchen halfway across the kitchen (EPIC FAIL), and then was helping him pick up all fifty little pieces of food that were scattered to the four winds. "Jeez," I muttered at him, "Would it be possible to just relax and ask for help? I'm right around the corner."

Within the hour, Elijah and Judah were going nuts and I couldn't get either of them to stop swatting his little brother (LJ) or continuing to egg his big brother on (Judah), so I walked upstairs to try and relieve the tension. Within seconds, the Queen mysteriously appeared and made an 'impassioned and helpful speech' (nagging would be reading far too much into it) on my lack of dishwashing in the past hour. What happened next? You betcha. BANG! into the stairwell went a couple of stuffed animals, courtesy of yours truly. That's when the light went on. How could he possibly be expected, to quote one of my dad's favorite sayings, to "do what I mean, not what I say?"

Because I'm sure I did this a lot when I was a kid. (look closer)




On days like that, I'm just thankful he's like me in the way he says "I'm sorry" a lot and smiles like he really means it. Elijah is nothing if not a wonderful little knight-in-training (and a budding artist to boot!) and a fantastic big brother. I can't wait to see what's in store for he and Judah. Because I know what's in store for us.



No comments:

Post a Comment