Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Thank God for Curious George...


... and the other books that keep Elijah (and Judah, and subsequently us) sane on grey days!
Here Elijah's listening to his Great-Grandma Dale read him a good book!

Since the most exciting thing that happened to me today was having a garage door panel drop on my head, and I know you all want to hear some good contusion stories (or not!), I figured that I would write and invite some feedback on what books that you're currently reading to your kids (if you have some), read to your kids (if they're grown up), or loved as a child (if you have done the sane thing and kept the kids out of your house). As the sign on my parents' fridge says, " We child proofed the house-- but they keep getting back in somehow."

Without further ado, here are ten books that we're loving at this point (although I'd especially love suggestions for future reading):

10) Curious George Flies a Kite/ Curious George Gets a Job by H.A. Rey ... Elijah LOVES Curious George and actually might imitate him too much, if that's possible. One day we found him holding onto balloons saying, "Fly like George?" Um, no.

9) Two by Two (which is the story of Noah's Ark) by Marilyn Lashbrook... Elijah loves making all the animal sounds as they parade into the ark-- good fun.

8) Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs by Judi and Ron Barrett-- have you ever thought about what would happen if food rained down for breakfast, lunch and dinner? No, neither had I. But's it makes a pretty cool book.

7) Adventures of Robin Hood (Usborne edited version) -- Elijah loves saying "what's that? about everything in this book, although for a young knight-in-training I still don't think he understands about dungeons and moats just yet.

6) The Little Red Hen by Paul Galdone-- A classic, in which industry triumphs over laziness. Political correctness, you can stick it!

The Fab Five:

5) Mr. Brown can Moo! Can You! by Dr. Seuss-- More crazy noises than you can shake a stick at! Our little madmen love it.

4) A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett, edited by Barbara McClintock-- Another classic, but really well done for kids 2-7. Elijah always gets excited when the tide begins to turn for Sara.

3) Love You Forever by Robert Munsch -- Elijah loves reading this book mainly because I don't think he realizes how poignant it is. Rachel and I don't read it to him very often because we (especially me) can't handle it.

2) Corduroy by Don Freeman-- What's cuter than a self-conscious little bear who's lost his button? Nothing. Elijah can recite it almost page for page.

1) Curious George by H.A. Rey-- the original and best. Did I mention that Elijah is OBSESSED with Curious George?

Anyways, if you have the time, send me in a few that you've loved over the years....

and as a bonus, I leave you with the LJ showing off more things he's seen George do-- popping up out of a box!

1 comment:

  1. If You Give A Mouse A Cookie was always one of my favorites. Circular sequences of events still intrigue me, for example in the book of Revelation. I feel like the cookie, the mouse, and the glass of milk have some stake in my identity to this day lol

    ReplyDelete