Thursday, November 3, 2011

A Tough Act to Follow

Well, based on the massive response, both on and offline, I think the Queen will be a regular guest blogger here... but considering that everyone but Elijah is exhausted tonight, this one's going to be a quick hitter.

First, in continuing with our theme of thankfulness, I'm actually thankful for Judah today-- specifically, how happy he is to see me when I get home, but also just how happy he is in general (when he's not whining about being hungry, of course). At times, I can get home, and the Queen (understandably) looks at me and goes off to take a well-deserved rest (see yesterday's post to see just how well-deserved some days are... and oddly enough, today actually was even crazier, although a little less humorous); and Elijah only wants me to come home one day a week ("ride your truck, Daddy"), while the other six he tries to slam the door on me and barks "Go away now!!" I love you too, LJ. So for these reasons and many more, I love that Judah sees me, smiles, crawls over at top speed and bonks his head into my leg, which is his way of saying hi. Love it!


Two other things that made my day: one, the perfect day at work. We are creating some very detailed garage door overlays, which is basically making a custom simulation of carriage house doors on a basic garage door so that it looks classic 1920s carriage house instead of run-of-the-mill 2000 garage doors. I will try to take some pictures when we are done so you can see what I mean. Anyway, it's technically demanding, craftmanlike, little-to-no margin for error, and thus, it's a lot of fun! (Plus, if we do it right, it's really quite beautiful, if a house can be such!) Couple that with the fact that the boss had to go away to meet some clients at noon and leave me all to myself in the quiet on the sweeping Rockport coast with an arch to carve out of beadboard -- yes, you can be jealous of me, it's ok. You can also remind me that I was bragging about it in January when I have to work outside in subzero temperatures. But today... no complaints at all.

The finished work will look something like this, in case anyone besides me cares... we're doing a slightly different design :)


Finally, tonight I'm grateful for how Elijah makes me laugh even when I really shouldn't be laughing... he was a wretched bear for Rachel all the way home from dropping my brother and sister-in-law at the airport and even continued his crankiness for most of the night, although he had a little moment when Rachel and I were 'discussing' something a little more intensely than he thought proper. He got right up in Rachel's ear and bellowed, "Mama, don't talk so loud!" This from Elijah... ah, the irony, it brings tears of laughter to my eyes. But the real coup de grace for the day was when we were going by his room about 9:00 tonight and he flagged us down for one last kiss and song; we were happy to oblige. When I tried to leave the room, however, he predictably got upset. "Elijah," I warned, "we're leaving. Time to go to bed." Almost as predictably, he jumped up and bounced a couple times on the bed just to show that he "wasn't sleepy." Except the second bounce was a little too close to the edge, catapulting him forward off the edge (lest you be too frightened, his bed is about 15 inches off the ground tops) and face-first into the humidifier. That put an end to all the posturing; after a good cry, he cuddled in and went right to bed. I tried so hard not to laugh, but I'm just not that seasoned of a parent yet. I laughed so hard I think it startled him-- what a picture we were, him sobbing his little heart out, me laughing my head off. I think we deserve each other.

Have a good night all!



(The LJ in his natural habitat-- "doin' dishes" -- it works great except for the mornigs like this one where Rachel went upstairs for two minutes and came back down to this scene PLUS water, water everywhere... or at least all over the floor. Yup, he's gonna have his mama's OCD.)

No comments:

Post a Comment