Monday, November 28, 2011

A Translator's Guide to the Court, Part 2



I did a translation guide to our little household a couple months ago (http://lifeonkingarthurscourt.blogspot.com/2011/09/official-translators-guide-for-court.html) and it was actually the most-read post I've ever done -- it was also the second one I've ever done, which pretty much confirms that I should have quit after about five posts, because my skills as a writer are on the long slow decline now that I'm over the hill ;) -- however, Elijah has been running around confusing the neighborhood with some of his new (ahem) witticisms, so I figured I'd share.



This is how he thinks up his new words at night!



So here are some more turns of phrase from our favorite maudlin madman:


"naked baby" -- any bare patch of skin showing anywhere. This is a really versatile phrase and can stun you when he uses it without warning. Case in point: we were reading through a book recently and he flipped ahead a couple pages and screamed, "Who that naked baby??" Um, that would be Jesus... on the cross. Yup, he's an equal opportunity 'naked baby' commentator... no free pass for the Son of God here.



"my city" -- He made this one up on the spot while we were at the zoo with our friends... if you really want to know what's behind the curtain, it would be hundreds of bats. And bat droppings. Honestly, he can have his city.


"Oh no! Judah sad!" -- this means: I, Elijah, have recently swatted Judah in the face. Just thought you should know.



"MamadadatimewatchsomemoreGeorges" -- this one is actually pretty easy to figure out once your brain can process it five seconds later. Often followed immediately by "WantwatchmoreGeorgesnow!!!" Can anyone say SERIOUS Curious George addiction??


"Your face hurts" -- Generally said with an accusatory point at me after he goes to climb on my face and scratches himself on my stubble. Sometimes followed by "Daddy's face dirty-- need to shave"

"Mama not go to work!" -- Humorously enough for the lovely Queen, she apparently dresses her best when she goes to work on Monday/ Wednesday nights, because whenever Elijah sees her in moderately dressy clothes, he flips out.


"guitar string" -- the word for any actual guitar-like instrument... we tried for about a month to teach him that no string was needed, without success. See also metal guitar.


"peeing down my leg!" -- Daddy, just so you know, you only put my diaper around one leg instead of the customary two. After a whole night, I have just figured it out this morning. Do you know where I might have peed in the past ten hours... because I don't. Love, Elijah


"metal guitar" -- our big green broom. I don't know if he saw me doing Van Halen improv one night and decided to play along with said broom, but it's been the 'metal guitar' ever since.


Finally, this one needs no translation, but about a week ago, unprompted, he said as I left his room after a particularly trying bedtime, "Love you, Daddy!" I'm not sure he even knew what he was saying, because I went back to say that I loved him and he tried to get me to play with him, but it made this particular knight feel like he might have done something right in the last three years --what that is I'm not sure, but I'll take the good with the bad :)


No comments:

Post a Comment