Thursday, May 10, 2012

I don't think I fit into the routine :)

               I say this as cheerfully as possible, but I think I owe my whole family an apology.  You see, today was a rain-filled day, which in my world will occasionally mean that I get to stay home with them.  About three years ago, this seemed awesome.  Time at home with the new little Elijah giving the Queen a nap (especially because the first four weeks after he was born I was working 65-hour weeks) meant a smoother situation for everyone.  About a year ago, it wasn't too bad.  Now, when I stay home, it's pretty awful.

              I think half of it is me.  When it's gray and lonely, I'm pretty rough to live with.  Elijah doesn't seem to mind because he's my doppleganger-- he's just as irritable as I am.  Judah doesn't seem to mind because for the past month, it doesn't really matter what's going on around him, he just whines.  We're all hoping that this phase clears pretty quickly-- he's such a delightful child when happy, and such a delight-sucking child when whining.  But even after all that, it's at least half me.



             Which leaves the poor Rachel/ "beautiful mama."  She now has not two cranky young knights to deal with , but three.  Things that used to be fun, like lunch, degenerate into serious dicussions of how to parent as each of us feels like our parenting styles are being questioned.

             By dinnertime, EVERYONE was ready for war.  Humorously enough, dinner was a war.  It's not often that a + b = c at this house, but this was one time that we all could see the storm coming; it's just that we weren't smart enough to get out of its way.

                              

         So I think we learned a few life lessons today.  (Honestly, we already knew these; we just forget a lot-- at least I do.)

            1)  I should NEVER stay home from work unless I am actively playing a lengthy video game;  in my case, free time = hell.

            2) Naps and me do not agree.  (I passed out from 1-3pm, with disastrous results.)

            3)  Rachel is awesome!!  (By anyone's definition of justifiable homicide, she could have killed Judah and I today; a liberal judge probably would have let her off the hook for Elijah too.)

            4)  Even awful days have redeeming qualities; the boys and I sneaked out at 4 and got her something special for Mother's Day under the guise of a walk!

         Hope you all are having a fantastic night!  (I know I am; I'm sitting by myself in peace and quiet!)

No comments:

Post a Comment