Wednesday, May 2, 2012

the apple doesn't fall far from the tree...


     because I think that LJ inherited his storytelling from me!   (At this point I can hear Rachel's voice in my head, "you mean his stories are never quite true and always a little overly dramatic just like yours?")  And while it's true that I am prone (and LJ as well at times) to a wee bit of exaggeration, I always draw back on my mentor Dr. Peter Stine's saying:  "When the truth and the facts collide, the truth must ALWAYS win out."



      Honestly, I don't know how true the following story is (I wasn't there for most of it), but this is what happened when I tried to put Elijah to bed tonight:

      Micah:   LJ, Daddy has to leave in one minute... who do you want to pray for tonight?

      LJ:   Hmmm.... Grammy and Pa.  And Auntie Laura and the baby in Auntie's tummy, and...

     Micah:  Ummm.... Auntie's not pregnant.

       LJ:  Yes she is!

    Micah:  No, I'm pretty sure on this one.

        LJ:  Oh, ok.  (Looks at me like I have no idea what I'm talking about since he just saw her and I didn't.)  We pray for GrammyPa, auntie with no baby, GreatGramma Dale, Aunt Robbin, GreatGramma Dale....

      Micah:  Oh, you remember GreatGramma Dale?

    LJ:  Mmmm-hmmm.  I really like GreatGramma Dale.

     Micah:  Oh, why?

   LJ:  (in a totally dissociate voice, like he's reading a story)  Because I whacked Baby Bekah (who is older than Judah) and she told me that was mean and she was telling my mother so I not do it again.

    Micah:  And that's why you like her?

   LJ: Yeah!  Yeah!  I hit Baby Bekah and GreatGramma said, "I get your mommy and I make you stop!"

    Micah:  (giggling uncontrollably)  So did you stop?

   LJ:  Well, I stopped but she goes to get mommy anyway, but she couldn't.

    Micah:  (has no words)

  LJ:  (pauses)  Because Mommy was washing her hair in the tub with a huge hose!


 -- At this point I completely abandoned the prayer time and listened/ howled with laughter to/ at him for the next five minutes (so much for leaving right away) as he told me all about it.  You, my wonderful audience, will have to let me know if this is totally normal for 3-yr-olds to just go on and on like this, but at least this time it was funny-- and I hadn't seen the incident.  Sometimes it's just a running commentary on what he's doing WHILE WE'RE WATCHING HIM DO IT.  That's less cool.


          Have a wonderful night all!

                                   

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true that I am NOT pregnant, but I will stick with Auntie Laura rather than be referred to as "Auntie with no baby"... haha, love that little boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great story! Good for you for writing it down! He's so funny! Kids his age seem so fascinated about babies being in bellies, and it seems like they make up stories like that just to see your reaction to see if they understand the concept. One time shortly after Matthew was born, I put him down for a nap, then came back, and Joe asked if I put him back in my belly.
    Also, I love the washing her hair part.

    ReplyDelete