Friday, September 16, 2011

theme music for the Court


Today seems like a very interactive day-- from waking up with Judah at 4am and having to watch Bones with him until Elijah woke up some two plus hours later to explaining to a homeowner and their lovely children why they shouldn't necessarily walk on their deck while we replaced all the posts that were holding it up (we rarely have homeowners on our construction sites) , today has been a very people-filled day for this reclusive knight. So I figured it should continue with the first intentionally interactive post...

Every Court, even a well-run court such as ours with knights errant (or in the cases of Elijah and I, just error-prone knights) and jesters-- Judah got a dunce cap for winter from the lovely Auntie Laura, Rachel's sister (sister to the queen? princess? nothing? I don't know my royal titles at all) and lovely monarchs needs theme music, and in our house the theme music is definitely from the 80s. There's nothing like four men with mullets blasting out "Eye of the Tiger" to make you go crazy-- or CRAZY. Love it or hate it, I'll detail my five favorite 80s songs and I am curious about yours. Here are the five power 'ballads' that get this court's seal of approval.

1) "Jump" -- Van Halen. I used to literally jump on my trampoline for HOURS to this and I have passed it along to LJ. Humorously enough, the band with the top guitar player in the world uses almost all piano on this one.

2) "Like a Prayer" -- Madonna. As much as I hate Madonna now, back when her hair was as poofy as a poodle in need of a haircut, her music kicked butt.

3) "Video Killed the Radio Star" -- the Buggles. The first video ever to play on MTV (I mean, remember when MTV played videos?) -- is still pretty cool.

4) "Africa" -- Toto. I couldn't understand this song the first five times I heard it and I still loved it.

5) "St Elmo's Fire" -- John Parr. There are probably eight key changes in this song, which means that no matter how low you start singing (and you have to sing along), your voice will hurt by the end... my all-time favorite 80s song.

Honorable Mentions: One Night in Bangkok (Murray Head), which is a song about chess and prostitutes (of all things), With or Without You (U2), which is a timeless song that happened to be written in the 80s, and Final Countdown (Europe), which is a song that should only be played in gyms because it makes you run so hard every time they play the trumpet part you pass out on the treadmill... anyways, looking forward to hearing some of yours!!

2 comments:

  1. This blog is consistently outstanding. I'm hooked. I'm a little older than you but Eye of the Tiger was my HS football song. And I love Jump and Africa, having been there I like it even more. Round and Round by Ratt probably isn't a ballad, but it's a good power song from the 80s.

    ReplyDelete